Friday, February 12, 2010

One Fan's Story: Julie Woeltje

How did you hear about the Storytelling Festival?

I saw something on TV about the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesboro. It looked and sounded like such a fun event. I'd never heard of storytelling before but it immediately appealed to me and I've always wanted to go there “someday”. When I heard that Cape was going to have its own, well, that was all I needed to hear. I told my husband and son we were going and bought weekend tickets for all three of us. We had such a great time that we bought tickets again last year and this year.

Why is the Cape Girardeau Storytelling Festival such a great event?

I love the stories themselves of course. The first year when Donald Davis was telling stories about being a child and getting into trouble at home and then running away, and when Sheila Kay Adams was telling of her school's senior trip to New York and their chaperone's wardrobe of different colored negligees with matching panties that she WORE ON HER HEAD, it had us laughing so hard our ribs ached. And, there is something wonderful that happens when a large group of people experience strong emotions together. Be it happiness or sadness it's amplified and wonderful when shared. And, even better--during the course of the stories and the laughter and tears I found myself turning to the person next to me and they'd be laughing just as hard or wiping away tears just as I was and for a little while we were neighbors. And, that is something that is missed in today's life. And even though you entered the tent with a bunch of strangers you left knowing you had shared something great that brought you together. Think about leaving a movie theater and telling the stranger sitting next to you how much you enjoyed it or asked where they're from? Probably never. When you leave a storytelling tent more often than not you'll chat with someone you don't know but feel like you do, at least a little bit.

Who do you take with you to the Cape Girardeau Storytelling Festival?

My husband and our 11 year old son are going along with my parents. My husband likes it and he doesn't like ANYTHING! LOL! My parents drive down from Bonne Terre, MO, for this event and really enjoy it and they're coming again this year and are very excited. Last year when Bil Lepp took the stage was when storytelling really grabbed my son's interest. Until then he had been neutral about the event but he LOVED Bil's stories and we're hoping he comes back again. So all five of us have attended the first two festivals and will be there this year, too. I talk this up big time at work and with my friends and of course on my Facebook page.

Thanks for letting me voice one fan’s opinion.

Julie Woeltje, Cape Girardeau Storytelling Fan ’08, ’09

Have you own fan story to share about the Cape Girardeau Storytelling Festival? Send us an email at slynch@visitcape.com or post on our Facebook and Twitter sites @capeSF.

No comments:

Post a Comment